Whenever I travel, one thing that I always tuck into my backpack (but no my carry on!) is a pocket knife. It can be invaluable, especially if it’s a classic Swiss Army Knife with the additional tools. From cutting fruit to opening a bottle, removing a splinter with the tweezers or little repair jobs, it’ll make you feel like MacGyver and you may be surprised just how often you use it.
A very popular and exceptionally well rated pocket knife on Amazon is the Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker Pocket Knife. Made is Switzerland, Victorinox is the world's most know brand for multi-tools and pocket knives. They’ve had a huge following going back decades and the quality of their products is as high as ever. The Tinker knife is compact and sturdy but there are a number of other good reasons why it is ideal for travel:
- Versatility: Altogether, there are 12 different functions on the Tinker knife to fully equip you for a variety of adventures. You’ll find a full list of the tools below. It's a great alternative to something like a Leatherman. You get about 80% of the functionality (no pliers) with only about a third of the weight.
- Appearance: The sleek plastic handle comes in a variety of colours, with some having the Victorinox logo neatly stencilled on one side. Victorinox Swiss Army proudly supports the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) and has developed an exclusive collection featuring co-branded knife designs.
- Quality: The components of the Victorinox Tinker knife are all 100% stainless steel so they won’t rust. To keep it lightweight (2.2 ounces or 62 grams), the handle is made of aluminium and an acid-resistant plastic. For your peace of mind, the product comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturer's defects.
- Size: Despite the range of tools on the Tinker knife, the length only measures 4.1 inches (10cm). It is just over half an inch (1.4cm) in height so it sits comfortably in your hand and slips easily into the smallest pocket of your pants or backpack. Despite being neatly compact, the main blade opens to a length of 2.45 inches (6cm).
What is Included?
Let’s have a look at the main functions of the Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker Knife:
- Main Blade: typical hollow grind and drop point tip. Like most Victorinox models, the main blade is a non-locking slip joint. The steel quality is excellent and the nick is well placed to open it easily.
- Secondary Blade: a smaller version of the main blade with the same steel, grind and tip. It’s ideal for opening packages or light cutting tasks such as small rope or cord.
- Philips Screwdriver: is full size and has a full size shaft. Many other multi-tools have a functional equivalent of a Philips, but this one has the same shaft as a normal screwdriver.
- Bottle Opener: This is one of the more heavily used tools on the unit because of its versatility. Apart from opening bottles, it also serves as a flathead screwdriver and also a wire stripper.
- Can Opener: Can be a real blessing if you don’t have a conventional can opener. It’s also an excellent package opener and the tip of this tool is another, smaller, flathead screwdriver.
- Auger: on the flip side of the unit, this tool is sharp and perfect for making a small hole in something. Great for emergency sewing or even in first aid, as it would ideal to take out a splinter.
- Tweezers: While not a serious tool, it can certainly be very useful for cosmetic reasons or helping to remove a splinter. They are also replaceable and can be bought from Amazon in 6 packs.
- Toothpick: Again, it may have limited use but something that is still functional and very handy at times. Just like the tweezers, you can buy replacements if necessary.
- Keyring: Although it’s not a tool, the keyring is a very handy addition to the knife if you want to clip it to your backpack or pants. It’s very sturdy and will easily hold the knife in place.
The phrase known as Every Day Carry or EDC refers to what people deem important to carry every day in their pockets or backpacks. The Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker Knife has developed a reputation as being one of the best for EDC use. This naturally makes them great for travel when it could be said that "the best tool is the one you have with you". There’s no need for a heavy and expensive multi tool like a Leatherman. Wherever you’re going, a Tinker knife will give you all the quality and functionality you need at only a fraction of the weight.
BUY WITH CONFIDENCE
The sleek plastic handle of the Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker Pocket Knife is manufactured in a variety of colours, including those supporting the Wounded Warrior Project. Buying online through Amazon is an assurance of genuine quality, convenience and the best price.