A bucket list is a collection of things you’d like to do in your lifetime. It can have all kinds of different things on them - anything from chasing a tornado to running a marathon, writing a book, becoming a philanthropist, getting married in Las Vegas or travelling the world. The options are virtually endless!
There’s a joy in dreaming and creating a bucket list, especially if it can include travel! Remember the truth in the quote attributed to Saint Augustine that reads:
What wonderful words these are! Twenty years from now I don’t want to be disappointed and have regrets about not having read other pages from the book. Every page offers insights and an education into other cultures, lifestyles, food, religions and history. I’d rather see and experience places just once than hear about them a thousand times. Hence my need for a travel bucket list.
Ticking Your Bucket List
Forming romantic and adventurous images in your mind is naturally inspiring and exciting. Make your bucket list items specific and write them down with clarity. Sharing them with friends and family helps create a sharper focus and stronger sense of purpose in making them a reality.
What you can then do is build trips around your travel bucket list. When you start researching on a particular country you may find your bucket list growing and all you need to do is join the dots. Although items keep getting added to it, my bucket list has already given me some of my most treasured moments and fondest memories.
Things such as:
- Walking on the Great Wall of China
- Watching the early morning cloud lift from Machu Picchu, Peru
- Exploring the Angkor Wat group of temples in Cambodia
- Snorkelling and scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia
- Touring beautiful Halong Bay on a Vietnamese junk boat
- Watching the sun setting over the majestic Taj Mahal, India
- Admiring the stunning paintings of the Sistine Chapel, Italy
- Traversing the 5,400m Thorong La Pass, Nepalese Himalayas
The benefits of travel are far reaching and sometimes don’t become apparent until after the journey is complete. Okay, you don’t need to travel everywhere but going here and there will at least open the book and let you read a few pages. The things you can learn will intrigue and amaze you.