Not all backpacks are created equal. They are made in widely varying qualities to be used for different purposes. After researching various backpack options, I believe the Osprey Atmos 65 AG is one of the best, especially if your travel will be adventurous and include hiking excursions.
- Weight – 4lbs 6oz (2kg), making it about half a pound (227grams) lighter than many other top rated packs in a similar category.
- Volume – 65 litres, which is an ideal size for most backpacking trips. The floating top lid can extend to accept oversized loads or removed completely for weight saving lidless use.
- Access – Top and front, making it perfect for travel situations when you need quick, easy access to larger items through the front.
- Materials - 210D double ripstop high-tenacity Cordura stretch woven nylon with Lycra. Excellent durability but also well ventilated for comfort. It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Hydration - An internal reservoir sleeve is located in the main body of the pack allowing easy loading/unloading of a hydration reservoir.
- Pockets – Aside from a dedicated sleeping bag compartment, the pack has five user-friendly exterior zippered pockets and three slip pockets. Also has a handy ‘Stow-on-the-Go’ trekking pole attachment.
Aside from these basic specifications though, what really makes the Osprey Atmos 65 AG backpack superior is its comfort. There are a number of reasons for this:
- Atmos 65 AG: The ‘AG’ in the pack name stands for Anti-Gravity. This ‘trampoline style’ or ‘suspended’ suspension system takes comfort to a new level. It works by suspending the entire back panel and hip belt which spreads the load and alleviates common hot spots or pressure points.
- Hip Belt: The ‘Fit-on-the-Fly’ hip belt pads extend 5"/15cm to accommodate different hip sizes and provide a custom fit to whoever is carrying it.
- Harness: The adjustable harness allows the user to easily adjust the torso length of the pack by using easy release cams behind the harness yoke.
- Ventilation: Tests have concluded that the Atmos 65 AG backpack is one of the most well-ventilated available. This design feature makes it a perfect choice for backpackers travelling in warmer climates or those who tend to sweat more.
Compared to other backpacks in the same category, the Atmos 65 AG has been proven great value for money. At $260, it is average priced and comparable to many packs on the market. However, it packs in an above average number of features that make it one of the most comfortable available. It is also extremely versatile. While it is great for hiking, the wide array of pockets and good front access make is an excellent choice as a travel pack.
The Bottom Line
The Osprey Atmos 65 backpack is a very comfortable and well ventilated pack at very reasonable cost and weight. The AG Anti-Gravity system spreads the pack weight beautifully across hips, back, and shoulders. Its ventilation makes it a perfect choice in warm climates and it has excellent organisational ability. Although it may not be suited to heavier loads of over 50lbs (23kg), for short trips and more moderate weights of 40lbs (18kg) or less, the Osprey Atmos 65 should certainly be a top consideration.
BUY WITH CONFIDENCE
Apart from the Graphite Grey pictured, the Osprey Atmos 65 AG Backpack also comes in Absinthe Green and Cinnabar Red. Buying online through Amazon is an assurance of both convenience and the best prices.