A popular addition to many modern travel packing lists is a Kindle reader and it makes a lot of sense. By design, a Kindle is purpose-built for reading and creates a sanctuary so you can lose yourself in a book. Unlike tablets and phones, Kindle doesn’t distract you with social media, emails and text messages.
Every Kindle E-reader reads like a book...
- Page Flip means you can flip through books while your place is saved by being pinned to the side of your screen.
- Sharp, dark text reads like a printed page. Fonts have been carefully refined at the pixel level for maximum readability.
- Lighter than a paperback, you can comfortably hold a Kindle in one hand for those times when you can’t put the book down.
- Share notes and thoughts from a book by creating an easily printable PDF which can be exported to your email or a simple file you can open in your favorite spreadsheet app.
Of all the Kindle devices sold on Amazon, the Paperwhite is undoubtedly a best seller. Since being launched in 2012, it has had a few iterations without any great change to its original appearance. The features it offers today though make it a very attractive option indeed...
- Resolution: With twice as many pixels as the previous generation, Kindle Paperwhite has an improved high-resolution 300ppi display for crisp, laser quality text.
- No Glare: Unlike tablet and smartphone screens, Kindle Paperwhite reads like paper. This means that you won’t get reflective glare from sunlight and have difficulty reading.
- Battery Life: Kindle Paperwhite won't leave you tethered to an outlet. A single charge can last up to six weeks (based on half hour of reading per day without wireless and the light setting at ten).
- No Eyestrain: Kindle Paperwhite guides light toward the surface of the display with its built-in front light. Simply adjust the screen brightness for great reading in any light. Back-lit tablets shine in your eyes and eventually leave them tired.
- Typesetting: Kindle Paperwhite now offers Bookerly an exclusive font crafted especially for reading on digital screens. Inspired by the artistry of the best fonts of modern print books, if offers great readability at any font size.
No glare or eyestrain - comparing a tablet to a Kindle reader
Compare Other Kindle E-readers -
Paperwhite Technical Details
- Size: 16.9cm x 11.7cm x 0.9cm (6.7" x 4.6" x 0.36")
- Weight: 205 grams (7.2 ounces)
- Capacity: 4GB; sufficient for thousands of books
- Display: 300ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale
- Battery: Will vary but up to six weeks, based on a half hour reading per day
- Charge Time: Approximately 4 hours from a computer via USB cable
- System Requirements: None; fully wireless and doesn't require a computer to download content
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty and service included. Optional extended warranties available.
- Also Included: USB 2.0 charging cable and Quick Start Guide
The basic Kindle is the cheapest option but doesn’t have a built-in light and has a resolution of only 167ppi. The Kindle Voyage is a refined version of the Paperwhite and now seems expensive relative to the slight differences. The Oasis is for those who use their Kindle a lot and want the very best.
At only $120 with free shipping, the Kindle Paperwhite itself stands out as being outstanding value for the features it offers. With a high resolution touch screen and excellent lighting, it is the best upgrade option from older models and a top pick for those new to E-readers.
Buy with Confidence
The Kindle Paperwhite comes in either black or white. Optional covers are crafted from premium natural leather or durable polyurethane with a matching microfiber interior. They come in a range of colours to protect your Kindle and keep the screen clean. Buying online through Amazon is an assurance of both convenience and the best prices.